Today, almost everyone spends hours hunching over their phones and sitting in front of computers and laptops. These repetitive patterns can cause shoulder and neck strain. By doing the following yoga sequence, a person can reduce these adverse effects and support the healthy movement of the shoulders and other body parts, relieve pain, and remove stiffness and tension.
Sukhasana (easy pose)
As the name suggests, the pose is easy to perform, but modifying it helps even more.
• Sit comfortably on the floor with erect spine and crossed legs. Keep your arms in your lap and breathe slowly.
• For modification, you can raise your hands up with palms facing towards the ceiling.
• Intersect your fingers and move your upper body upward giving a gentle stretch to the shoulders and hands.
• Hold the position for 30 seconds.
Garudasana (Eagle Pose)
Eagle pose is another effective and easy asana for shoulder health.
• Sit on the floor with a straight back in Sukhasana position.
• Now fold the right thigh over the left thigh and then wrap the right foot around the left calf.
• Now cross the left arm over the right arm over the elbow. Then touch the palms and hold the pose for 20-30 seconds.
• Release the pose and repeat the other way around.
Paschima Namaskarasana (Reverse Namaste or Prayer Pose)
This pose gives a nice stretch to your shoulders and upper back.
• Sit straight on the knees on the floor or chair keeping the hands on your thighs.
• Now move your hands behind your back and try to join your hands into a Namaste pose.
• If you are unable to do that, simply hold the opposite elbows.
• Don’t strain your back while stretching it. Hold the pose for 30-60 seconds.
Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
The pose is great for increasing the flexibility of the shoulders and removing stiffness.
• Lie flat on the floor on your stomach with arms placed beside the body.
• Now bend your legs backward and then your arms.
• Try to hold the ankles with the hand. Put the entire weight on the abdomen and form a bow-shape with your body.
• Hold the pose for 30 seconds and keep breathing slowly.
Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend)
This pose is good for easing your shoulders and neck tension and pain.
• Sit on the floor with an erect spine and stretch your legs outwards in front of you with the toes flex inward.
• Now raise your arms over the head, stretch and then bend the torso forward from the hips.
• Let the hands touch the toes and hold the pose for a minute.
Conclude the yoga sequence in Savasana- the resting pose or the corpse pose. These poses are great for shoulder health and for maintaining healthy muscles movements in them.