Through my studies of teaching yoga and mentoring other teachers, I have learned that it is absolutely critical to kick it up a notch in the self-care department so we can thrive as we keep on giving our best to our students when they may need it most.
A busy schedule is no excuse to avoid self-care rituals! As teachers, it is very important to take time to slow down, get grounded, and get in touch with our authentic needs and desires. If we don’t, we are at the risk of being unsettled and all over the place when we teach. Students can undoubtedly feel this erratic energy and will not get the balancing benefits of our yoga class, which is exactly the opposite of what we are hoping to embody and achieve as attentive teachers.
My daily self-care routine:
- Morning detoxification routine before I leave for the day – coconut oil pulling, tongue scraping, and neti pot.
- 10-minute meditation and pranayama – It’s one of those things that I have made part of my morning routine and is non-negotiable.
- Essential Oils for balance and grounding – I put essential oils on by body throughout the day to stay grounded while I teach and serve. No matter where I am, I carry them around with me and apply them throughout the day.
- Salt Water Soak – dipping into a hot bath with Himalayan Sea Salt and essential oils is my favorite way to give back to myself while I sweat out everyone else’s emotions I may have picked up during the day. Surrounding my scene are beautiful organic candles and a soothing playlist to lull me into a beautiful state of bliss.
- Before bed – lavender eye pillow, peppermint essential oil and heating pad on my belly while laying in an indulgent, restorative yoga pose supported by bolsters and blocks.
- Wei chocolate meditation and mantra “I am love.” Such a sweet way to close a beautiful day!
Fern Olivia Langham, yoga instructor and holistic health practitioner, has made it her mission to educate and empower everyone around her to slow down, find peace within, and awaken their own inner healers. She is a retreat guide, mentor for teachers and coaches, and offers unique coaching opportunities with her company, Bliss Out Wellness. Thoughtfully combining her studies of Yoga under the guidance of her mentor Elena Brower and teachers at Katonah Yoga, Biomedical Engineering at Syracuse University and Holistic Health at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, Fern uniquely creates individualized programs with an emphasis on soul-centered, whole-body nourishment.