It’s a fine balance being a yoga teacher. When I first started, I was working full time and teaching late into the evening. I taught as many classes as time would allow. I loved what I was doing and I couldn’t wait to leave the day job. I did the calculations on how I could make that happen and it meant teaching a ridiculous amount of classes per week.
Determined, I made the move and was happy for a while. Then I realized I had reached ‘burnout’. I felt depleted. Not ideal. How did my dream turn into this?
So here are my top tips to prevent burnout:
1. Self-love – this is of utmost importance. We are teaching others to love themselves, we have to lead by example. Treat yourself to a great class, workshop, holistic treatment at least once a month. Do a swap if you can’t afford to pay for one. Keep your own teacher and make sure you go to class.
2. Eat Well – nourish yourself with good fats, protein and lots of green vegetables. Smoothies, green juices, whatever it is that makes you tick well. We are warriors and need to nourish our bodies well.
3. Rest – if you’re tired, sleep. Do relaxation and yoga nidra.
4. Say no – don’t feel the pressure to accept every invitation, learn to listen to your inner guidance and do what calls you.
5. Take on another job – if you are struggling to make ends meet then get resourceful, find another way to make money. This does not make you a bad yoga teacher.
6. Take on a life coach or mentor – this is one of the best things I’ve done in the past couple of years. I’ve watched my life turnaround, not just how it looks but how it feels.
7. Meditate. Don’t do it to ‘get better’ at it. Do it because it’s your practice, time to go within and be with you.
8. Get inspired – get into nature, lie down on the grass, walk in the woods, swim in the sea. Go online, go offline, go wherever you need to go to get inspired. TED talks have some great links as well to talks to listen to when you need peace.
9. Speak to your community – grab a tea with your favourite people and talk to them.
10. Slow down – make a list of everything you are doing and then scrub off half of it, find a way to make space and be loving to yourself.
Namaste beauties, you’re doing an amazing job.